Wednesday, October 29, 2008

FREUD-Y TEETH DREAMS




There’s just something about
Louise Hearman’s work that really appeals to me. People seem to refer to her as a Surrealist and sure there are surreal elements to her work but generally I really hate surrealist art and its often sugary lameness. Hearman’s art doesn’t have that, it’s dark, creepy and unsettling.

She's a bit of a kooky dame, very cryptic about her work and its meanings. There are a lot of orbs of light, anonymous heads floating about, clouds, ambiguous gelatinous blobs, strange portraits of dogs and children.

When I first saw her Untitled #1095 it instantly reminded me of one of the most disturbing things I’ve ever seen in my life. At UNSW’s Museum of Human Disease, they have these ovaries in a jar that have cysts on them, but they're not just any cysts... 
Dermoid cysts spurt of locks of hair, brain cells and teeth. Grosssss. Anyway her work kinds reminds me of that, the mixture of something familiar in an unknown, dreamlike/nightmare/paranormal context...or something.

No comments: