
Following on the kooky dames tangent/streak I seem to be on, I caught an interview with the English author Hilary Mantel on the radio a few days ago. She has this bizarre, sing song little-girly voice and is obsessed with the paranormal. She told this amazing story of how she once awoke from a disturbed sleep and then in a sort of trance spent several hours furiously writing a story on the computer. When she finished it there was something telling her to make sure she not only saved the work but also printed it out. When she awoke in the morning she could find no trace of the story on her hard drive. Luckily she had printed it out. It was basically her dream state vomiting out coherent prose and unlike anything she had written before. She wrote about this weird episode in The Guardian. Spooky.
I’d never heard of her work before that and immediately after listening I googled her and found out she has a face like an alien kewpie doll and has written many articles/books with a paranormal bent. Great piece on Hilary and the Devil in The New Yorker here. So please excuse me while I just take my little bag to the library and pick up some Mantel pronto.

No comments:
Post a Comment