Friday, August 1, 2008

LIFT AND JIGGLE


There’s this bit in Grey Gardens when Big Edie is lying in her bed and she starts combing her hair and then she does her exercises. She lifts her hand up over her head and sort of rattles her arms around. I’m a big believer in workplace/everyday stretching. 5 days a week, 8 hours a day sitting at a desk does this to you. Anyway, I’ve just realised that I’ve stolen Big Edie’s move, the arm lift and jiggle. I do it all the time, really gets the blood flowin.

I remember reading an interview with the amazing Joan Collins, it was when she was promoting her book which has a large chapter dedicated to the benefits of regular stretching. She said something in the interview that really stuck with me, to paraphrase: “regular stretching is very important for the body, it’s natural and it’s instinctual. If you watch babies and animals, they stretch.” Joan is such a cool broad.

No comments: