Friday, July 4, 2008

Modesty & Neatness


Ok, so I don’t agree with the child abuse, polygamy or just the general horror stories but I have always held the Yearning for Zion female ranch members’ style in high regard. The clompy brown medicine shoes (I don’t know if that’s a correct term for shoes, but there is just something “medicine-y” about them), the 40s jam roll hairdos with heavy braids and those amazing puffed sleeve prairie dresses in an array of pastel colours.

The kids in mini-me overalls made with cheap denim and the acid pink frilly blouses. I dig the uniformity, sparseness and functionality of it all. I also think my fixation with American traditional prairie and mountain clothing has a lot to do with it.

Imagine my delight when I came across the news that the female members have started a website selling their handmade wears for babies, children and teenagers.

There is a “Princess dress” with my name on it!

While on style and whatnot, Germaine Greer should really consider becoming a fashion writer. Her descriptions in this bizarre article are pure poetry. Oh Germaine, you crazy spitfire, you!

No comments: