Sunday, January 18, 2009

BAD MOTHER





I've really neglected this thing lately, but I'm suffering from a general end of holidays malaise and it's all a bit hard. Blah.

Ladies and Gentleman, The Fabulous Stains was released on DVD late last year and I can't wait to get my paws on it. The cult 1981 film stars a baby faced Diane Lane (she was like 15 when they filmed it) and Laura Dern as punk rockers who start a band called The Stains. They sort of sound like a demented-Hollywood version of The Raincoats mixed with The Shaggs or something. The film even features appearances from Paul Simonon, Steve Jones and The Tubes (the lead singer OD's in the film, which then actually happened to him in real life).

It's corny wannabe riot grrl stuff but it's a wonderful little document of the era nonetheless.

And anyway, the Stains look amazing... makes me want a two toned undercut and some red eyeliner. Stat.
















No comments: